Korea to provide humanitarian aid for Myanmar refugees
Ryan School Murder Case: Haryana government wants the owner to be booked
Airlines intervene to hold down fares as Irma approaches
Gasoline Surges As Harvey Wallops Refineries
President's western swing moves to Reno with call for healing
Police arrest suspect, search house after Barcelona attack
September 26 2017, 03:50 | Irvin Gilbert
Mossos d'Esquadra Police officers and emergency service workers move an injured man away from the scene. Quique Garcia EPA REX Shutterstock
President Xi Jinping has written to King Felipe of Spain to express his condolences over the terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils that killed at least 14 people on Thursday and Friday. The driver and four passengers were shot dead by police.
Now the street is perhaps even more crowded than it was at the time of the attack, tens of thousands of people have come here.
Danish Prime Minister Lars Rasmussen said Europe has "again been attacked by terror".
"Those that live here can't believe it, because we live here, we walk here, this is our neighbourhood", Sebastiano Palumbo, 47, an Italian architect working in Barcelona, said as he walked his dog.
A small group of far-right demonstrators briefly scuffled with anti-fascist counter-protesters in Barcelona on Friday night before being moved out of the area by police.
Major Trapero said there was a possibility but "no concrete proof" that the Barcelona driver was among five suspects shot dead hours later, following a similar auto attack in the seaside town of Cambrils, 120km south of Barcelona.
Four other people have been arrested and a manhunt is under way for other men who are suspected of being part of the terror cell.
The 35-year-old had been on holiday in Barcelona with his wife and their two young children, the company announced, saying they were in mourning for their "friend and colleague".
Tony Cadman, whose Facebook profile says he lives in Sydney and is from Gillingham, Dorset, posted a photograph of Julian, writing: "My grandson, Julian Alessandro Cadman is missing".
He said in a statement: "We join Spain and countries around the world in grieving the senseless loss of so many innocent people".
He added: "Be tough & strong, we love you!"
Jesus Borrull, a lifelong resident, gently pushed through the crowd to kneel and pray in front of the Canaletes monument, which for two centuries has been a symbol of the city and a meeting spot for FC Barcelona soccer fans after a victory.
The five were wearing fake bomb belts.
"My thoughts are for the people who died and are in hard conditions", he said.
The minute of silence was observed at the start of an open session on the war in Yemen, Efe news reported.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said the events were the result of "jihadi terrorism".
On Friday, Trapero said the group was preparing "one or several attacks in Barcelona" with explosive devices but after the blast at the house in Alcanar they moved quickly to commit "more rudimentary" attacks.
At least 13 people died and dozens were injured when a van ploughed into pedestrians in the busy tourist area of Las Ramblas.
At around 1am the following morning, five alleged terrorists were shot dead in Cambrils after they killed one and injured five civilians and one police officer.
Oukabir, from the upscale Catalonian town of Ripoll, is believed to have been the driver of a Fiat van behind the massacre in Barcelona, with his older brother reportedly telling investigators that his documents were stolen to rent the vehicle.